Posts by Morten Hannesbo

15.5 – Keep Calm & Breathe

15.5 – Keep Calm & Breathe

By on Mar 27, 2015 in Exercise | 0 comments

SURPRISE! No burpees in this year’s Open, instead we’re finishing with a “Breathless” workout. 15.5 is for sure going to beat the h*** out of you, in a good way that is. So how are you getting through’ this? Well my biggest, and probably also my most important advise would be, BREATHE! Never forget to breathe in this workout. Breathing is the key to master workouts like this. Normally I don’t talk about how to warm-up but in this case, when you are warming up at the rower or you are performing a thruster, think about where and when you are breathing. Create a pattern and find a pace and a rhythm which allow you to breathe properly and still doing the movements at a high intensity. I’m somehow assuming that you have a perfect technique for both rowing and thrusters, so i’m only going to give you my advice about when to breath. Rowing: Try inhaling on the drive and exhaling a the recovery. Don’t force the recovery. It is called recovery for a reason, take your time and remember to exhale properly, so that you got plenty of space for new air, ‘cause you are going to need it. Thrusters: One breathe per Thrusters. Exhale on the way up or at the top of the press and inhale on the way down. If inhaling on the way down, it also lets you keep a tight and strong core, so it is actually a win/win situation when breathing this way. Rhythm is everything, and it’s about finding a rhythm that works for you. It’s a simple advice, but it takes a lot of practice to master a skill like this. Have fun and remember to breathe and enjoy life.       Morten Hannesbo   Coach @ Box CrossFit Aalborg   ...

Read More
15.4 – “Clean up” your Handstand Push-Ups

15.4 – “Clean up” your Handstand Push-Ups

By on Mar 20, 2015 in Exercise | 0 comments

What you need to know: Go by feel, not tactic; Never go to failure in Handstand Push-Up; Keep your rest at a minimum; Do Power Cleans; Stay focussed; Don’t make a Josh Bridges; Keep a “tracker” in the corner. Wow. This one really shocked me. When Castro announce that there would be a scaled division in the Open, I knew that would be some changes and my guess where that the workouts would start with some more skilled movements in the RX division then usually. My first guesses came true last week, I thought that they would make a workout, where instead of finishing with a muscle-up you would have to start with one, which by the way I truly hope that you did get your first muscle-up, or even your second to. I wasn’t prepared for this that he, Dave Castro, would add another skilled movement to The Open. But he did, so lets talk about 15.4. I really like this workout. I might even love this on. It is one of those workouts that I think that most people would enjoy to do. It would not give you the same horrible feeling as workouts like Fran, Grace etc. would do. Instead it demands that you are focussed all the way thru or else you will get a technical breakdown which in the end would mean, that you are getting a “no rep”, and nobody wants a “no rep”. Let see, what does 15.4 has to offer to you: As you can see it only consist of two movements, Handstand Push-Up and Cleans. My first advice, and maybe my best advice to thise workout: DO NOT, make a Josh Bridges. By that, I mean do not try to make strict handstand push-ups. Be smart, take your time and make some beautiful kipping push-ups. It will help you in the end. This is only a 8 minute workout, and to be honest I think that you should forget all about tactics. No need to make a master plan before this workout. Its a sprint. You should go by feel. By feel, I mean that you should do as many handstand push-ups as possible every time, but always feel like you...

Read More
15.3 – 14 minute beasty AMRAP

15.3 – 14 minute beasty AMRAP

By on Mar 13, 2015 in Exercise | 0 comments

For the first time in Opens history, we are going to start the workout with what is considered a complex and highly skilled movement, The Muscle Up. For some people, that means they are going to chase a score around in the 1-3, which would mean that they are going to get their first muscle up and congratulations with that.   So, what else did Dave Castro throw in the bowl, for us yesterday? 15.3 is a 14 minute beasty AMRAP. So the first thing that comes to my mind, actually it is two things: The first one is my shoulders. They’re going to burn. I hope that you don’t have a problem with wall balls or double-unders because performing a skilled movement like the muscle-up under fatigue can be very hard, so you are probably going to want some rest there and just get the wall balls and double-unders over with. So, how are you going to attack this workout? Well, it depends on your weakness and since we all have difference weakness I’m just going to talk about the movement today.   The Muscle-up For a lot of people, the muscle-up may seem like an unreachable goal. I surely know that it was for me, the first time and second time. I think that there were 2 or 3 months between my first and second muscle-up. I hated it, because i thought that when I would get my first muscle-up then within a week I could do 50 muscle-ups unbroken. I couldn’t have been more wrong. So if you can’t perform your first muscle-up yet, well then you’re screwed. Just kidding, because now is the time to get your first muscle-up. I believe in you and so should you. Normally I would advice people that doesn’t have the muscle-up yet, to get stronger, to train their strict pull-ups and strict dips as often as possible. But since we don’t have the time for that now, we are going to focus on some other things instead. First of all, just like the pull-up, then we can save a lot of energy and compensate for our lack of strength, by doing the kipping muscle-up instead. I hate false grip....

Read More
15.2 – The second chance!

15.2 – The second chance!

By on Mar 6, 2015 in Exercise | 0 comments

Oh no, not that one again – I can imagine that thousands of people around the world are sighing right now, but not you. Yup, that is right. You love this workout. Right now, you are properly thinking, “What are you talking about, I hate this one. It sucks”. But no you don’t. You love this, because right now in this very moment you have an opportunity to see, to test, if all the hard work you have done in the last year, whether it has worked or not. What you need to know: Mind your own business Follow your own pace Be smart Don’t split up the overhead squat Split up the Chest-to-bar pull-ups Don’t get No-reps Kick some ass So what is today’s workout? I’m glad you asked. If you still don’t now what the Open 15.2 is, then I’m honored to tell you, that it is exactly the same as last years Open 14.2, and it is going to be so much fun.   But how am I going to get through this?   Let’s start with the Overhead squat. If you have been working on your mobility, like I know almost every athletes do for 3 hours a day, then the overhead squat shouldn’t be a problem for you. The weight isn’t to heavy, so almost everybody can take at least one overhead squat with the weight, and if you can take one, then you might as well take another one, because the bar is up there anyway. Let’s get back to your mobility. If you don’t feel comfortable about doing overhead squat in your Inov-8 F-lite/Nano’s, then put on your weightlifting shoe instead. The raised heel allows you to have a greater ankle mobility and there for a better overhead position.   I know, that some of you might be concerned with the extra weight, if you are using your weightlifting shoes, when you are doing the C2B Pull-ups, but lets be honest. Do you really feel so special, so good, that you can feel the difference in the heat of the battle? Nope, i didn’t think so either. So use which ever shoe that feels comfortable for you, and allows you to make...

Read More
15.1 – What a nightmare!

15.1 – What a nightmare!

By on Feb 27, 2015 in Exercise | 0 comments

Hi Folks! The Open starts today and we at the coaching staff are tremendously looking forward to follow you during this journey. I posted this update on Crossfit Aalborg‘s facebook page earlier today, and I thought that you guyes should have the opportunity to read it too.. There is nothing secret in it, just my thoughts on the first open workout which might help you during the workout. “By the way, why were Froning and Fraser no. 1 and no. 2 at  Games last year? They both have beards! 15.1 – What a nightmare!     What you need to know:  Open Workout 15.1 – Run the Froning style. ie that you start out at the same pace as you will end in. – Break everything up to 5 repetitions, to begin with; – Smile, it will be awesome.  Look on the bright side,. there is after all no burpees in this WOD.   Open Workout 15.1a – The goal is 90%; – Somewhere between 4-7 lift; – 70% -75% -80% -85% -90%   The ideas behind the above tips: I hope that both your mind and mostly that your forearms are ready. This is going to hurt. The magic of this workout lies in that you actually need to relax throughout the workout. It sounds great, right? Just to refresh today’s workout, which is a two shared workout : 15.1 is a 9 Min AMRAP 15 Toes-2-Bar 10 Deadlift 5 Snatch Immediately  after the 9 minutes is over, start workout 15.1a. In 15.1a you have 6 minutes to make a 1RM in Clean & Jerk. So a rapid analysis of the above, there is no secret that your forearms will propely be your limit during this workout. Just quickly to return to my previous comment, about relaxing during the workout. My best advice to 15.1 is quite simple, run it at a steady pace and feel for what your forearm can withstand. The magic lies in that, if you have to break up the repetitions. Which I’ve recommend you do, what that does, it will let you keep performing all reps also called submaximal. Which mean that you never drive you completely dead. You never hit that acid...

Read More