Posts by Martin Thimm

5 Tips for the aspiring Open athlete

5 Tips for the aspiring Open athlete

By on Feb 16, 2015 in Events, Exercise | 0 comments

We keep saying that the beauty in this methodology  is to never know what to expect in each challenge put in front of you. The Games are the highest proof of this! We can’t predict which workouts you will have to pass through at this qualifying round, but Coach Martin Thimm gives you 5 tips you can’t miss if you’re trying to qualify.   1. Act like a professional A Ferrari can’t move an inch without gasoline! (My dad use to tell me this everyday when I was young). Human performance fuel is gained in the recovery process, and if you want a chance to perform at your top level in the Open, you better take care of your nutrition, hydration and sleep. These are the things you do outside the box. Inside the box, besides from all the hard work you do, then you better take care of your body and, do your mobility work and give your muscles stress relief (Soft foam rolling, voodoo bands etc).   2. Have a game plan Don’t Just Do It. Be prepared before you try it out. When the workout is announced you analyze it with the experience you have gained the past year. This means you look at your own strengths and weaknesses, and compare them to the workout. There are a lot of ways to prepare yourself: How many reps are there? Do you divide them into sets? How many sets? How many seconds do you rest between reps/sets? What gear to use and when to use it? Write things down, have a buddy helping you out, and pay attention to detail.   3. Visualization Visualize yourself doing the workout over and over again during the day you will give it a go. This will help you to embrace the suck (and it will suck!), and stay in the right state of mind, which is where you control your emotions, movements and gameplan. Surround yourself with people who can motivate you.   4. Fire up your engine Before the “3, 2, 1, Go!”, make sure you do a proper warm up. Most people think that this is done just by doing a few reps of all the movements included in the...

Read More